Step-1: Upgrade first
UPGRADE to latest build before troubleshooting this with Gearmage support
First, please make sure you are on the latest build. Our version is still v3.2 but the build is often newer.
Before doing this upgrade, if you are running the PRO Server and running the service, Uninstall the service from the Service tab inside the program first. Not doing this may interrupt the installation of the latest build.
- Free instructions - If you are using the free version, just go to our website to get and install the latest build.
- PRO instructions - If you are using the PRO versions, use the SAME link that you received in your license email to install the latest build. Your settings will be preserved with the upgrade.
Latest current PRO build is: 3.2.1027
To check the build you currently have, hover the mouse over the main title text (i.e. "Mail Attachment Downloader") in the main program window and you should see a popup with the version eg. 3.2 and the build 3.2.1015.0 (1015 is the build).
Step-2: Troubleshoot to make sure this isn't a config issue -- use Rule Tracing
IMPORTANT READ and FOLLOW this FIRST: Enable Rule Tracing, refer to this post: https://gearmage.com/blog/2018/06/03/why-did-my-rule-not-download-the-attachment-or-email/
Make sure you have tried to rule out a configuration problem. An example of common config issues are:
Common Service config issues
- The most common mistake is to not uninstall and re-install the service from inside the program's service tab after making a configuration update!
- You must uninstall the service and re-install the service when a config change is made in the program. Otherwise the service will be running with the older configuration.
Config issue - Rule Tracing
- When using global rules, we HIGHLY recommend that you try to enable Rule Tracing and troubleshoot emails or attachments IMPORTANT: You MUST have the latest build for this to work.
- Enable Rule Tracing checkbox in the Global Filters tab
- Uninstall the service first from inside the program's service tab if you have it installed.
- Setup the configuration so you can narrow it down to just the email or attachment you want to download. For example, set a start date in the Search tab or a date greater than filter in your Global rule to 1 day before the problematic email. Make sure that Search tab has Search in All mail checked.
- Once the download completes, click the Search magnifier icon next to the Rule Tracing checkbox in the Global filters tab. Then scroll to the specific email in question on the left pane and select it. Understand what is happening on the right side, it should show you all the email parts and/or attachments in the email before any rules were run and it should also show you why a specific email rule did or did not match.
Step-3: Get us verbose Logs
If the above troubleshooting did not yield any results, then we need the logs to further assist. Not attaching the verbose logs could mean that we have to ask you to submit the logs for troubleshooting. This will delay the resolution time for your problem.
Attach verbose logs (see instructions below) AND tell us the FILENAME or Email Subject for which it didn't download attachments so we can help you with this issue?
Please email the zipped logs AND the FILENAME or Email Subject and date of the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Verbose Logs to speed up response times
PRO Server ONLY: If you are running the service, first uninstall the service via the Service panel (click the uninstall button).
- Open the program, switch to the Logs tab (if you updated to latest v3.2 build you should now have this new tab in the main window) OR click on settings button in v3.2 for any individual account (not multiple@multiple) OR Mail Server tab in v2.x. Check the Verbose Logging checkbox.
- Click on the Logs Folder button and it should open up explorer. Keep this explorer window open, we will zip this up after reproducing the issue.
- Set your settings and search criteria you want saved. IMPORTANT: If you experienced an issue with a previous download, make sure you add the right filters for the program to re-process the same exact email so you can reproduce the problem. Specifically set a start date in the Search tab or a date greater than filter in your Global rule to 1 day before the problematic email. Make sure that Search tab has Search in All mail checked.
- RUN THE DOWNLOAD to reproduce the problem. Wait for it to finish.
- IMPORTANT: Quit the program and don't restart it until step 6 is complete.
- Zip all files in the Logs directory from the windows explorer that opened from previous step and send it via EMail to us.